Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Biography: Shaun Tan by Alex

WALT: summarise information and write a biography


Pixar Pictures are proud to say that Shaun Tan did animation on ‘Wall-e’ and ‘Horten Hears a Who’. Who’s Shaun Tan you may ask. He is an author and illustrator who has written many books, all being amazing enough to inspire me to completely change my view of life. 
Shaun Tan was born in 1974 and grew up in the Northern suburbs of Perth, Australia. All the people who went to school with Shaun say he was always known as ‘the good drawer’.
By the age of 14 Shaun had started doing pictures in small press magazines, his career had started. By the age of a young adult he had started writing amazing books like ‘The Red Tree and ‘The Tales of Outer Suburbia’. These most outstanding books are now all  over the world, in every book shop and have been translated in to more than 7 languages. 
A few of Shaun’s picture books have caught the interest of film and theatre producers and directors and his book ‘The Lost Thing’ has been recently made into a Oscar winning movie.
As a teenager Shaun achieved honours in fine arts and literature and has cherished that award to the age he is now. He also works as a artist and paints scenes of average life for people. People buy them to have at home. Most of them are semi-abstract and he has become a world sensation in the art world. His most arresting books have made people stunned by his creativity and originality and one day I want to do the same with my writing.
By Alex, Year 6, 2011

5 comments:

  1. Kelly (Liam's Mum)Wednesday, June 01, 2011

    Hi Alex You have just reminded me how much I enjoy Shaun Tan's books - I am going to dig them out now for another read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI There Alex
    I enjoyed reading your biography on Shaun Tan. His books are certainly a visual symphony. I'm sure you will be able to do something similar with your writing, I look forward to reading your stories when you get them published Alex. Well done

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,
    Your biography on Shaun Tan is amazing. You made the first paragraph in a really creative and affective way to hook the reader in straight away,And your last paragraph is what he achieved and why he is so famous and I like how you ended with a sentence that you would like to do when you grow up. Well Done Alex I really enjoyed it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna from Room 1Friday, June 03, 2011

    Hi Alex,

    Thank you so much for posting your biography about Shaun Tan. He is one of my favourite sophisticated picture book authors, and I agree that he is really inspiring!
    I learnt some new interesting facts about Shaun...and now I want to have a look at some of his art. I wonder if I could afford one for my house?!?
    I think you could definitely become and writer an illustrator like Shaun if that's what you aspire to be. It would be so exciting to pick up a book in 10 years time and see that it is yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah (Sam's mum)Sunday, June 05, 2011

    Hi Alex I loved your interesting use of language in your biography, such as the word "arresting". I think you have it in you to be a writer!

    ReplyDelete