Wednesday, July 25, 2012

John Pule by Maia and Madeline

Yesterday morning a well known artist, John Pule, came to our class. He gave a little talk and we learnt some interesting things, including how to translate words into pictures. After writing this poem-

I know of a shore
glistening in the islands where the sun,
resplendent in clouds
also ripples upon the sensuous sands.

 -on the board, he asked us to turn the words 'know', 'shore', 'glistening', 'islands', 'sun', 'resplendent', 'clouds, 'ripples', 'sensuous', and 'sands' into pictures. We had only ten minutes but we got through alright. John Pule also talked a little bit about himself. Apparently he won a drawing competition when he was at primary school and the prize was $40 and a bank account! He also has a fifteen year old son and four-going-on-five year old daughter who will attend Grey Lynn school. By Maia and Madeline
John Pule visit from Room 11 on Vimeo.

11 comments:

  1. Kia ora Madeline,
    Your class was so lucky to have John Pule come in. The sketches look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of reading a poem then drawing pictures that represent the words. I would love to see some of your work around this. How lucky you were to have had such a special artist in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies,

    You are a very lucky class to have a local artist visit you and inspire you in an artistic way. I also love writing and think I will try this with my class. I cannot wait to see what else this inspires...watch this space?

    Andrea (Madeline's Mummyxx)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to be inspired by John Pule in person! - your art looks great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi girls, thanks for sharing about your John Pule visit. I know R12 are really jealous as we enjoyed sketching some of his designs on his mural at the Grey Lynn shops. What a cool idea to make pictures from words. We might also give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoops I was meant to say sketching some of the designs we saw from his mural at Grey Lynn shops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Madeline and Maia

    WOW looks like Room 11 had alot of
    fun with John Pule and
    I really loved the art work you all did.
    They were AMAZING

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi madeline and maia
    Great artwork looks like you had alot of fun its intrestng how you turned words into drawings.

    From Arlo and Charlotte
    rm 13

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Madeline and Maia

    I really loved your art work. I wish John pule came in to our class
    I was really interested in your art

    Milla :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Madeline and Maia,

    I think John Pule is a very good artist.I liked the poem he wrote up and how we had to put it into pictures.I also liked how you typed up the poem aswell.
    What part did you like?

    Fabulous work
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Madeline and bon voyage Maia it looked like fun doing all that art work with John Pule

    From Anton and Harriet

    ReplyDelete